Flash memory forecasts
Aisling Foley, Marketing Manager.
There has been a lot of reports released recently about the state of flash memory and related markets. Here we have compiled the highlights from flash memory forecasts produced in October to December 2016 in one place. Even the most pessimistic forecast bodes well for the flash market!
||Allied Market Research
- 3D NAND Flash Memory Market Report accounted for $5.2 billion in 2015 and forecasts that the global market is anticipated to grow over $39 billion by 2022, with a CAGR of 33.7% from 2016 to 2022.
- Key findings of the 3D NAND flash memory market study:
- In 2015, smartphones and products are anticipated to witness faster growth ahead
- Consumer electronics is expected to grow with the CAGR of 33% owing to the growth in storage needs in portable electronics and devices
- China is the major shareholder, accounting for about 33% of the AsiaPac market in 2015
- India is expected to witness rapid growth, in terms of CAGR, from 2016 to 2022
- Total memory market forecast to increase 10% in 2017
- NAND Flash Prices to Keep Rising During 2017 – DRAMeXchange
- 3D-NAND will be the main driver of flash bit shipments in 2017
- 2D-NAND will account for less than 50% of the total bit shipments
|13 Dec and 3 Jun
- Sales of all-flash storage rose more than 87% in the first quarter of 2016 and experts predict continued growth in spending on all-flash deployments.
- Sales of server-based storage were up 2.0% during the quarter and accounted for $2.1 billion in revenue.
- Total worldwide enterprise storage systems factory revenue declined 7.0% year over year to $8.2 billion during the first quarter of 2016 (1Q16).
- Total capacity shipments were down 4.0% year over year to 27.8 exabytes during the quarter.
- Revenue growth declined within the group of original design manufacturers (ODMs) that sell directly to hyperscale datacenters. This portion of the market was down 39.9% year over year to $681 million.
- External storage systems remained the largest market segment, but the $5.4 billion in sales represented a 3.7% year-over-year decline.
- Global NAND Flash revenue rose 20% sequentially in 3Q16
- NAND flash revenue is up 19.6 percent in the third quarter of 2016 as demand out places supply
- Samsung’s third-quarter NAND Flash bit shipments increased by 20% compared with the prior quarter. The supplier’s quarterly revenue from NAND Flash sales for the same period advanced about 20% sequentially
- Compared with the second quarter, SK Hynix posted a 12% increase in its NAND Flash bit shipments and a 7% increase in the average selling price (ASP) of its NAND Flash chips. As a result, SK Hynix’s third-quarter NAND Flash revenue rose 20.3% sequentially to around US$1.06 billion.
- SK Hynix will be able to boost its 3D-NAND production capacity to around 20,000~30,000 wafers per month before the end of 2016. The supplier will commence shipments of its third-generation 3D-NAND Flash in the first quarter of 2017. The supplier’s fourth-generation NAND Flash may also be ready for small-batch runs by the second half of next year.
- Toshiba’s NAND Flash revenue for its fiscal second quarter (Jul to Sep) rose about 17% sequentially
- Western Digital’s annual bit output for NAND Flash is forecast to increase by 45% in 2017
- Micron posted a 13% sequential increase in its NAND Flash bit shipments and a 1% drop in its NAND Flash ASP
- Intel’s NAND Flash business saw bit shipments expanded by 25% and revenue grew by 17% to U$649 million
- Flash. In the market for enterprise-grade SSDs, Micron’s bit shipments from June to August rose 45% compared with the prior three-month period
||Wise Guy Reports
- Global 3D NAND flash market to grow at CAGR of 91.82%, in terms of unit sales, over the period 2014-2019.
|Wise Guy Reports
- Global Flash Memory Card market to grow at a CAGR of 4.4% over the period 2014-2019.
|Sys Con Media
- The global NAND flash market to grow at a CAGR of 9.69% during the period 2016-2020.
- 112-114+ Million HDDs Shipped in 3Q16